[OS X TeX] Trepidations using auto-save in lion

Warren Nagourney wna at u.washington.edu
Tue Apr 9 20:55:56 EDT 2013

Hello all,

As a longtime user of TeXshop, I recently purchased an Intel-based mac (my first) and am using Mountain Lion, which has a completely new approach to document saving, etc.  Being somewhat conservative, I initially turned off "autosave" and found that the behavior of TeXshop 3.11 was strange, to say the least. First, it didn't seem to save the source files when typesetting -- the dot remained in the save button and I was asked whether I wanted to save the files when I exited.

The reason for my reluctance to use autosave is a feeling that I might accidentally touch the keyboard and put some garbage in a file without being aware of it and having it become permanent (via autosaving). I am in the process of editing the second edition of a book I am writing and I need to be very careful not to not do this.

I have two questions: First, is there any way to restore the former behavior (pre-Lion) of save dialogues? Second, if I decide to embrace autosave, is there a way to prevent the nightmare scenario I described above?

Thanks very much.

Warren Nagourney