[OS X TeX] Redefining a math symbol

J. McKenzie Alexander jalex at lse.ac.uk
Thu Apr 18 07:46:09 EDT 2013

Hello,

As I don't understand the inner workings of math fonts, I'm hoping someone could help me out here... When writing a conditional probability, I find myself often using the following construction:

	$\Pr( A \mathbin{|} B )$

since that puts some additional space around the vertical bar.

Presumably there's a way to change the definition of the '|' symbol in math mode so that TeX treats it as a binary operator by default... but how?  And, ideally, it would be nice to have a pair of on/off macros so that, if I ever needed the default setting for '|' it could be reinstalled.

Any help would be most appreciated!

Cheers,

Jason

--
Dr J. McKenzie Alexander
Department of Philosophy, Logic and Scientific Method