[OS X TeX] TeX on iPad

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sat Dec 7 08:42:42 EST 2013

On Dec 7, 2013, at 4:55 AM, Victor Ivrii <vivrii at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 2:43 PM, Enrico Franconi <franconi at inf.unibz.it> wrote:
> I also would agree on keeping the TeX-iOS on this list. After all, iOS shares the same core OS with OSX, and iOS tends to share similar UI experiences as OSX.
> cheers
> —e.
>

> Really? Then please advise me how can I install MacTeX on iPad, how can I ran latex (rather than pdflatex available on TeXPad for iOS) or pdfcrop.
>

> Despite coming from the same company and having similar user interfaces iOS and OS X are no more similar than Swiss Army Backpack and Swiss Army Knife.
>
> One of the strange part of iOS is that basically all s/w comes from AppleStore and as far iOS is concerned not all AppleStores are equal: f.e. Canadian does not carry certain even freeware available in US

Howdy,

iOS started life as a highly restrictive version of OS X. Of course they have gone in different directions since birth as children do. Some of the ideas used to get higher control and isolate software problems in iOS are now coming back (to haunt us?) in OS X. If OS X ever gets as restrictive as iOS (which doesn't seem to allow inter-process communication --- I could very well be wrong about this, others will chime in) we will no longer be able to install TeX Live on our Macs either.

Interestingly, for a folks that wish this thread was dead they keep going on and on.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)