[OS X TeX] Two missing characters

Ettore Aldrovandi ealdrov at math.fsu.edu
Mon Jan 28 17:53:54 EST 2013

On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 12:45:06PM -0700, Don Green Dragon wrote:
> Hello Ettore,
>

> On 21Jan2013, at 5:27 PM, Ettore Aldrovandi wrote:
>
> > \documentclass{article}
> > \usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
> > \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
> > \usepackage{textcomp}
> > \begin{document}
> > \textquotesingle Single quotes\textquotesingle
> >
> > \textquotedbl Double quotes\textquotedbl
> > \end{document}

> Well that works nicely, your example, that is!  Added
> \usepackage{textcomp} to my standard template and it works there too,
> but with a quibble which I give below.

> I noted a small difference. Your example uses \documentclass{article}
> whereas in my basic template I use \documentclass{book}. So, in your
> example, \documentclass{article} was changed to \documentclass{book},
> and, on typesetting, I could not 'see' any difference between the
> 'article' version and the 'book' version.
>

> However, with my standard template, which uses \documentclass{book},
> there was a small but easily noticed difference. The single quotes guy
> was fine, same as with your examples, but the double quotes character
> was too squashed; i.e., the two single quotes were jammed too closely
> together. On printout, the same difference showed up using my basic
> template. However, the versions produced with my template will be just
> fine!

I don't know, but it may be font-related. Are you using any package to set the main font in your
template? I'm getting kind of squashed double quotes if I add \usepackage{lmodern} to my example,
without changing anything else

--Ettore.

--
Ettore Aldrovandi
Department of Mathematics, Florida State University