[OS X TeX] AMS-TeX symbols in plaintex

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sun Jul 21 19:59:04 EDT 2013

On Jul 21, 2013, at 6:41 PM, Daniel Drucker <drucker at math.wayne.edu> wrote:

> P.S. Originally I started using version 2.41 of TeXShop on my MacBook Pro
> running OS 10.5.9. When I bought a 27" iMac running OS 10.8, Migration
> Assistant ported TeXShop to the new machine. I heeded the message from
> TeXShop to update to version 2.47 and, despite heeding all the messages
> about what changes to make in commands and locations of files, I couldn't
> get it to work. So I didn't try to update TeXShop on my laptop, and I
> decided to try installing a newer version of TeXShop on the new iMac.
>   What delayed my use of TeXShop on that machine was a long download
> followed by an unhelpful "Installation failed" message of the type
> mentioned in a recent message to this list. I waited for the next version,
> tried again, and installation proceeded without difficulty. Now, thanks
> to you, I have working versions of Textures and TeXShop on both machines.

Howdy,

I assume by updating TeXShop you really mean updating MacTeX. The TeXShop download alone isn't that large but the MacTeX download is very large (~2.3 GB). MacTeX installs a lot more than TeXShop, especially a full version of TeX Live as your TeX distribution. See the `What Is Installed' document it puts into /Applications/TeX along with the GUI applications it also places there and other documentation.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)