[OS X TeX] Merging fonts in PDF files produces with XeTeX/pdfTex/LuaTeX

roberto avanzi roberto.avanzi at online.de
Sun Jul 28 10:27:40 EDT 2013

I am typesetting documents with A LOT of complex TikZ pictures.

Therefore I decided to create a file that contains only the graphics with no captions (but with letters and labels), with an empty page style, one pic per page, and I have a little script that extracts all individual pages, runs PDFCROP on then, and saves the resulting PDFs.  Including these PDFs (with \includegraphics) in the main document makes typesetting, of course, dramatically faster.

BUT, fonts are not merged, which implies that the file size is larger than it would be if I included the TikZ code in the main doc.

For instance, running pdffonts on the final file yields (only a few lines extracted)

AQSCFA+Georgia-Bold                  CID TrueType      Identity-H       yes yes yes     16  0
NQNJWO+Georgia                       CID TrueType      Identity-H       yes yes yes     18  0
GUNSGN+BookmanOldStyle               CID TrueType      Identity-H       yes yes yes     20  0
GARVEF+Gotham-Bold-Identity-H        CID Type 0C       Identity-H       yes yes yes     12  0
ZEAYLO+XITSMath-Identity-H           CID Type 0C       Identity-H       yes yes yes     68  0
EEJXGQ+Georgia-Italic                CID TrueType      Identity-H       yes yes yes     86  0
SNDMTU+Georgia                       CID TrueType      Identity-H       yes yes yes     99  0
UONKMP+XITSMath-Identity-H           CID Type 0C       Identity-H       yes yes yes    106  0
SNDMTU+Georgia                       CID TrueType      Identity-H       yes yes yes    119  0
UONKMP+XITSMath-Identity-H           CID Type 0C       Identity-H       yes yes yes    126  0
GTLWFK+LMMono10-Regular-Identity-H   CID Type 0C       Identity-H       yes yes yes    139  0
SNDMTU+Georgia                       CID TrueType      Identity-H       yes yes yes    154  0
UONKMP+XITSMath-Identity-H           CID Type 0C       Identity-H       yes yes yes    161  0
SNDMTU+Georgia                       CID TrueType      Identity-H       yes yes yes    171  0
UONKMP+XITSMath-Identity-H           CID Type 0C       Identity-H       yes yes yes    178  0
RJLKLU+XITSMath-Identity-H           CID Type 0C       Identity-H       yes yes yes    544  0
SNDMTU+Georgia                       CID TrueType      Identity-H       yes yes yes    562  0
CPYIPD+Georgia-Bold                  CID TrueType      Identity-H       yes yes yes    982  0

Now my question is: [1] how to persuade XeTeX (or pdfTeX, or luaTeX) to use font files without mangled names and [2] how to merge the fonts (under the possibly dangerous assumption that two fonts with the same name are actually the same font, which could be wrong if one included a PDF file from a different machine, say with an older/newer version of the same font). (I am also not entirely sure where the "Identity-H" suffix comes from...)

I think the solution would help more than just me...

 Roberto