[OS X TeX] Dealing with Word

Arthur Snoke snoke at vt.edu
Sun Jul 28 13:02:47 EDT 2013

My co-author insists on a .doc file.  I have been using latex2rtf-2.3.3
and find that it handles thigs pretty well.  (Mac )S 10.6.8, with a couple
of years old version of LaTeX).  I was interested in seing how pandoc
worked, so I downloaded it.  Thanks for posting the suggestion.

I was disappointed that I could not go backwards -- .doxx or .odt are not
allowed input formats -- as the backwards direction does not work as weel
for me.

I tried it to ..odt (opening usng LibreOffice) and .docx (WORD 2008).
Neither were as good as latex2rtf.  Equations did not translate, and
in-line Greek letters looked ugly.  It did not include any references or
figure references.  It did not number my sections.  When I opened the
.docx file, it said it used word 2007 equation stuff, which of course I do
not have.  It did not understand my \parindent, etc.

I had to wrok a bit to get latex2rtf to work for me.  Here are my header
lines

\documentclass[12pt]{article}

\usepackage{natbib}
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\usepackage{textcomp}
\usepackage{mathptmx}
\usepackage[scaled=.92]{helvet}
\usepackage{courier}
\usepackage{graphicx,fancybox,subfigure,spacing,dcolumn,fancyhdr,pifont}
\usepackage{hyperref}

\usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
\usepackage{siunitx}

\setstretch{1.0}