[OS X TeX] Do we really need two mailing lists for TeX on Mac?

Gary L. Gray gray at psu.edu
Sun Jun 2 15:43:06 EDT 2013

On Jun 1, 2013, at 6:02 PM, Andrew Miller <ajmiller at engr.psu.edu> wrote:

> This list macosx-tex at esm.psu.edu is for general TeX on Mac OS X discussions.
>
> While I have wondered in the past why TUG doesn't host our list, I've just spent part of this week moving this list to newer and hopefully more stable hardware. I hope this wasn't done in vain.

It was not.

The machine to which I asked Andy to move the is a 3-4 your old iMac sitting in my office at Penn State. For those of you interested in such things, here are the specs.

  Model Name: iMac
  Model Identifier: iMac10,1
  Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
  Processor Speed: 3.06 GHz
  Number of Processors: 1
  Total Number of Cores: 2
  L2 Cache: 3 MB
  Memory: 4 GB
  Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz

This machine is replacing one that was something like 13 years old. This allows the list to run on the latest version of OS X (10.8.3 with Server 2.2.1), which will, I hope, mean more stability. Speed has never really been an issue since all the old machine did was run a.

I will continue to run and administer the list (with amazing and much needed UNIX help from Andy) as long as there is sufficient interest.

Gary