[OS X TeX] invisible filename.synctex.gz

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Tue Jun 11 12:48:30 EDT 2013

On Jun 11, 2013, at 11:19 AM, Alain Schremmer <schremmer.alain at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jun 11, 2013, at 7:29 AM, Herbert Schulz wrote:
>
>> I tend to remove all the files
>
> By hand or do you have a way to do that in bulk? (I got lots and lots of them.)
>
> Interested regards
> --schremmer

Howdy,

TeXShop has File->Trash Aux Files which will do most of them (hopefully .synctex.gz is among them). It is also possible to add more extensions to the list with a hidden preference: TeXShop's Help Panel under ``hidden preference items'' gives:

``Occasionally during typesetting, the .aux files, .log files, and other files created automatically by TeX become corrupted and must be removed. TeXShop has a "Trash AUX Files" menu item and associated button in the console window. When either item is selected, TeXShop moves to the trash all files in the folder containing the source file with the same name as the source name, and extensions .aux, .bbl, .blg, .brf, .glo, .idx, .ilg, .ind, .ioa, .log, .log, .lot, .mtc, .mlf, .out, .pdfsync, and .toc. Other extensions can be added to this list, one by one. For instance, to add .dvi files to this list:

defaults write TeXShop OtherTrashExtensions -array-add "dvi"
To remove all added extensions and return to the original list:

defaults write TeXShop OtherTrashExtensions -array

Sometimes a more extensive cleanup is desirable. If the option key is held down while choosing "Trash AUX Files," TeXShop uses the "% !TEX root = ..." and "Set Project Root" mechanisms to find the root file. It then moves all files in the folder of this file and any subfolders of this folder to the trash if they have appropriate extensions, regardless of the names of the files. This behavior can be made the default behavior for "Trash AUX Files" without using the option key; issue the command

defaults write TeXShop AggressiveTrashAUX YES''

With the last part not directly relevant but may be of interest to some folks. If .synctex.gz is not among the ones that are removed by default you can add .gz to the list as above.

PS: I've added several additional extensions such as .fls, which is used by latexmk to trace file changes (uses the recorder option of (pdf/xe)latex).

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)