[OS X TeX] TeXShop 3.18 no longer has icons for .tex files

Adam R. Maxwell amaxwell at mac.com
Wed Jun 12 09:51:16 EDT 2013

On Jun 12, 2013, at 6:21, "Gary L. Gray" <gray at psu.edu> wrote:

>> Is this stuff saved with the file or looked up in a ``central'' meta-data database related to Launch Services?
>
> We need to get someone at WWDC to corner the appropriate Apple engineer and find out what the heck is going on.

Launch Services uses a central database. You can dump it in Terminal with lsregister. You cannot, however, manually edit bindings of UTI and extension, as far as I know.

As I've written extensively, this nondeterministic behavior is expected when you have multiple applications declaring a different UTI for TeX files. Apple's system just falls over and does unpredictable things.

Adam