[OS X TeX] Order ?

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sun Jun 23 11:55:47 EDT 2013

On Jun 23, 2013, at 10:43 AM, Jacques ANDRÉ <jacques.andre35 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I just loaded TeXLive2013 and I have a problem.
>
> With Texlive2012 the following program runs :
>
> \documentclass[10pt]{article}
> \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
> \usepackage{fontspec}
> \usepackage{microtype}
> \usepackage{fourier}
> \begin{document}
> OK?
> \end{document}
>
> with 2013, I get the error : ./fourier.sty:151: LaTeX Error: Command `\hbar' already defined.
>

> wiith TL2013, it works if I write:
>
> \usepackage{microtype}
> \usepackage{fourier}
> \usepackage{fontspec}
>
> Why?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jacques André

Howdy,

You should get in contact with the maintainers of those packages to resolve the problem.

But I have a questions for you. Why are you using xelatex with fontspec to typeset a document where you want to use Fourier/Utopia as the font? The microtype package also does a much nicer job with pdflatex than with xelatex. I compile with pdflatex and often use

\usepackage{fourier}
\usepackage[scaled=0.85]{berasans}
\usepackage[scaled=0.85]{beramono}
\usepackage{microtype}

which seems to work very nicely.

It's also not too surprising that two font related packages might interfere with each other and require a particular order of execution.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)