[OS X TeX] Announce: MacTeX-2013 & TeX Live 2013 Released.

Richard Seguin riseguin at earthlink.net
Sun Jun 23 14:19:24 EDT 2013

On Jun 22, 2013, at 7:06 PM, Richard Seguin <riseguin at earthlink.net> wrote:

> On Jun 19, 2013, at 12:20 PM, Herbert Schulz <herbs at wideopenwest.com> wrote:
>
>> MacTeX-2013 is available as MacTeX.pkg from <http://www.tug.org/mactex/>. Note: the size and date of the MacTeX.pkg file is noted as 2.3GB and May 30, 2013. There is a md5 checksum  available at <http://www.tug.org/mactex/downloading.html> so you can check that you have the correct download. We recommend downloading using Sasfari; in the past we have seen some problems when downloading .pkg files with other browsers.
>
> I downloaded MacTeX.pkg this afternoon using Safari while I was out for errands. I just attempted to do the install and immediately got the message "The Installation Failed". Then I checked the size of  the downloaded MacTeX.pkg and it was only about 450MB, so something actually failed during the download process. I'll have to try again sometime later after it's safe here from pop-up lightning storms.

Frustration! I tried again today and this time I got further, but only to 789.4 MB. Safari did not report any problems or errors in regard to the download and I got a normal looking package icon. I've never had any problems downloading large files with my 3 Mbps DSL connection. Get Info reports that the part of the MacTeX.pkg that I did get was download from http://bay.uchicago.edu/tex-archive/systems/mac/mactex/MacTeX.pkg, http://www.tug.org/mactex/. Maybe I'll try Omniweb next time.

Richard Séguin