[OS X TeX] TeX Live 2013 - font problem (Bickham Pro)

Richard Seguin riseguin at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 24 11:51:24 EDT 2013

On Jun 24, 2013, at 8:28 AM, Herbert Schulz <herbs at wideopenwest.com> wrote:

> On Jun 23, 2013, at 10:29 PM, Richard Seguin <riseguin at earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>> After installing TeX Live 2013 I attempted to typeset a document. It seemed to find my Minion Pro fonts, but not my Bickham Pro fonts.
>>
>> In the terminal I get the message
>>
>> ./BetaT2.tex:54: LaTeX Error: Font family `U+bickhamscr' unknown.
>>
>> See the LaTeX manual or LaTeX Companion for explanation.
>> Type  H <return>  for immediate help.
>>
>> l.54  <-> \mathalfa at scrscaled  bickham-s}{}
>>
>> I'm trying to reference the semibold weight of Bickham Pro. Within the .tex file front matter, I've defined
>>
>> % Enable Bickham Pro semibold as math font ---------------------------
>> \makeatother
>> \DeclareFontShape{U}{bickhamscr}{b}{n}{
>> <-> \mathalfa at scrscaled  bickham-s}{}
>> \SetMathAlphabet{\mathscr}{bold}{U}{bickhamscr}{b}{n}
>> \DeclareMathAlphabet{\mathbscr} {U}{bickhamscr}{b}{n}
>> \makeatletter
>> %--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>
>> Even more unusual, when I switch back to TeX Live 2012, I'm getting the same error! This worked yesterday. Now I can't even revert to 2012 as a fall back.
>>

> Howdy,
>
> The font information for TL2012 and TL2013 are kept in separate folders so I don't see how anything can interact between them.
>
>> I have a updmap.cfg file in /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/web2c with the contents:
>>
>> Map bickham.map
>> Map MinionPro.map
>>

>> and I've run
>>
>> sudo -H mktexlsr
>> sudo -H updmap-sys
>>
>> I'm stumped. Does anyone have any ideas?
>>
>> Richard Séguin
>
> 1)where are the map files? Is the map file name `bickham.map' correct? Where are the font files, etc?
>
> 2)Is there a blank line at the end of the updmap.cfg file?
>
> Good Luck,
>
> Herb Schulz
> (herbs at wideopenwest dot com)

Thanks Herb! I did solve the problem last night. See my previous post. I commented-out a line at some point before I did the font update and then forgot about it. The fact that typesetting was failing with both 2012 and 2013 finally got me to focus on that line again. Everything appears to be working well now, and it probably won't be long and I'll remove the old 2012 version.

Richard Séguin