[OS X TeX] Re: scaling .eps figures

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Mon Mar 11 18:34:03 EDT 2013

On Mar 11, 2013, at 4:19 PM, Bridget Kane <kaneb at tcd.ie> wrote:

> Dear Herb
>
> Thank you !!  I was using graphics package. When I switched to graphicx, it worked fine.
>
> With regard to other points - I quite TexShop and relaunched and it sorted the other glitch that stopped me checking preferences.
>
> Can you tell me - how do I know which version of underlying Tex that I may be using?
> Is this something I need to update independently of TexShop from time to time?
>
> Thanks
>
> Bridget

Howdy,

To check what TeX distribution is active simply open the TeX Distribution preference pane in System Preferences. It should tell you which distribution is active.

While it certainly isn't necessary to update your distribution every year there are always updates made to packages in TeX Live from year to year and even on a daily basis. The present distribution is TeX Live 2012 available in the present MacTeX 2012 distribution available at <http://www.tug.org/mactex/>. Not only that, MacTeX comes with a program called TeX Live Utility (found in /Applications/TeX) and occasionally running that program to pick up updates to packages, etc. (PS: TeX Live Utility will only update the most recent TeX Live version; i.e., it will not update TeX Live 2011 to TeX Live 2012.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)