[OS X TeX] Spotlight

Ross Moore ross.moore at mq.edu.au
Tue May 21 20:16:12 EDT 2013

Hi Marc,

On 22/05/2013, at 8:33 AM, Marc Larcher wrote:

> Dear fellow mac and TeXShop users,
>
> Maybe I am out of topic, but this whole spotlight thing made me try to use it on my files… No problem to find words in my .tex files, but the pdf files (typeset from the .tex files) are never found !!! Is there something to do, to enable spotlight to analyze them ?
> I typeset using UTF-8 encoding, and XeLaTeX engine, but I don't think it is relevant…

Frequently compression encoding is used to reduce the filesize
of the content streams contained in PDF files. Thus actual meaningful
words from the content will not be detectable within the PDF without
first decompressing such encoded content streams.

Maybe Spotlight can do this, but I'd be very surprised if it
would do so, at least not without specifying some parameter
to request this.

The "Spotlight Overview" and "Importer Programming Guide" talk about
only indexing Metadata, and extracting metadata from files, though
other descriptions of what Spotlight does mention that the data
within some files can be indexed as well.
Here are the links at   https://developer.apple.com/ .

https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#documentation/Carbon/Conceptual/MetadataIntro/MetadataIntro.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40001268
https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#documentation/Carbon/Conceptual/MDImporters/MDImporters.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40001267

> Best regards
>
> Marc

Hope this helps,

	Ross

Ross Moore                                       ross.moore at mq.edu.au
Mathematics Department                           office: E7A-206