[OS X TeX] key bindings in ``math mode'' only

Nicolae Garleanu garleanu at haas.berkeley.edu
Thu May 23 17:52:25 EDT 2013

I was thinking about key bindings again today, and one thing I wish I could do is the following: continue to obtain _{} every time I type _, but only inside a math environment, between $ signs, etc. As an example, if I want to write in my tex file the name of another file (say, a graphics file to include) that contains the character `_', now I have to erase curly brackets. One option is to avoid such characters from file names. If there is a simple way of applying the bindings only in math mode, though, then I could implement that. (Anything complicated will probably not be worth anyone's time.) Is there one?
Thank you.
Nicolae