[OS X TeX] hyperref package in thesis

Ross Moore ross.moore at mq.edu.au
Fri May 24 19:23:11 EDT 2013

Hi Nestor, Bridget and others

On 24/05/2013, at 10:32 PM, Nestor E. Aguilera wrote:

> On 23 May 2013, at 22:02, Ross Moore wrote:
>
>> Hello Bridget,
>>
>> On 24/05/2013, at 10:51 AM, Bridget Kane wrote:
>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I've been having problems with the hyperref package in a thesis template.
>>>
>>> I label words and use \href to link back to them (internal in the document).
>>
>> \href  is for *external* URLs, not internal links.
>>
>> With \href you need to give the full URL, including the  http://  prefix,
>> unless you have also given a location with \hyperbaseurl .
>>
>> For internal links, use  \hypertarget  and  \hyperlink .
>>
>> Read  hyperref  package documentation for details of the syntax;
>> e.g. in  The LaTeX Web Companion, Addison Wesley, 1999.
>
> Try \ref (to link to a \label). You may add text to the reference by using \hyperref. \hyperlink and \hypertarget work when you cannot o don't want to use a \label.

\label  does not let you make links to arbitrary places,
but only to some well-defined structural parts of a document;
e.g. sections, figure captions, table captions, and some
other special environments controlled by counters.

Then you need to check whether \ref results in a hyperlink that
takes you to the exact place or just to the page on which it occurs.

If you are wanting to link to arbitrary places, then it is
 \hypertarget  and  \hyperlink  that will do it for you.

Even "exact place" is a rather tricky concept, since you may
need to raise the target point to be slightly higher than the
tallest letter in a word, so that the content you want to
jump to appears within the target window, not out-of-screen
slightly above it.

 hyperref  has a "raiselinks"  loading option that allows this
to be done automatically with some usages of  \link ,
though this doesn't seem to be implemented for PDF output.

> Hope it helps.
>
>        Nestor

All the best

	Ross

Ross Moore                                       ross.moore at mq.edu.au
Mathematics Department                           office: E7A-206