[OS X TeX] TeXShop crashing on window close

Gary L. Gray gray at psu.edu
Wed Nov 6 18:08:01 EST 2013

On Nov 6, 2013, at 4:41 PM, Chris Goedde <cgg.lists at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Nov 6, 2013, at 3:11 PM, David Craig <dac at panix.com> wrote:
>
>> I am using TeXShop 3.26 under Mavericks.    I am getting regular TeXShop crashes when I close pdf preview windows, either by clicking the close box, or cmd-W.  (A recent user posted "After closing the what's new file a blank PDF window has appeared, and then TeXShop has crashed.”   I see something similar: a gray, empty pdf window, before the crash.)
>>
>> FWIW, my workflow is that I edit using Alpha, then typeset with TeXShop.  I have “Configure for External Editor” ticked and “Open Empty Document” (on startup) unticked.
>
> I’m also seeing this, but IIRC, I was seeing similar crashes in earlier versions of TeXShop under Mountain Lion. I only see it when I use an engine that uses \jobname to monkey with the name of the pdf file, so that foo.tex produces a file with a name other than foo.pdf. I don’t see crashes every time I close the pdf viewer, only sometimes.

Under Mountain Lion, I was having a ton of trouble with TeXShop crashing when I would close a document. For some reason, it largely went away, even before I upgraded to Mavericks. I sent many crash logs to Dick, but we were never able to isolate the culprit. I haven’t seen these crashes since the summer.

Gary