[OS X TeX] Mountain Lion neither makefile nor latex command functions

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Tue Nov 12 12:05:18 EST 2013

On Nov 12, 2013, at 10:51 AM, NMPOST7 <nmpost7 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12/11/2013 17:36, Herbert Schulz wrote:
>> You say you updated to OS X 10.8.5 but not from what version of the you started.
>>
>> Please let us know what
>>
>> ls -alF /
>>
>> ls -alF /usr
>>
>> ls -alF /usr/local
>>
>> echo $PATH
>>
>> which latex
>>
>> returns as run in Terminal. Do you use a GUI front end for compiling or do you use the Terminal directly?
>>
>> Try to install the FixMacTeX2013.pkg found in /Applications/TeX; i.e., double click that .pkg file and follow the directions.
> Thank you, Herb,
>
> I was using Snow Leopard. my latex was installed using TeXLive-2012
> As mentioned in my last message  Just did: PATH=/usr/texbin:$PATH; export PATH
> and the latex command works.
>
> However the "make" command does not work
>
> I just tried you "which latex" command but it returns nothing :(
>
> Regards
> suren

Howdy,

Why did you install TeXLive directly rather than via MacTeX? MacTeX installs a full TeX Live 2013. It also sets up the proper symbolic links so the /usr/texbin actually works and the proper $PATH. There is no need to configure anything (Unless you also have a MacPorts or Fink distribution present)! You can get the MacTeX installer from <http://www.tug.org/mactex/>.

If you actually installed via the MacTeX installer please install the FixMacTeX2013.pkg which should fix up the problems with $PATH and /usr/texbin.

If you actually installed TeX Live directly, where is TeX Live installed? If it's in /usr/local/texlive/2013 try using

export PATH=/usr/local/texlive/2013/bin/x86_64-darwin:$PATH

since it's MacTeX that creates the /usr/texbin symbolic links so that you can switch distributions via the TeX Distribution Preference Pane in system Preferences (also installed by MacTeX.

As far as `make' is concerned, what does

which make

return. Also, please let me know what the commands in my original post returns!

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)