[OS X TeX] Mountain Lion neither makefile nor latex command functions

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Tue Nov 12 12:47:00 EST 2013

On Nov 12, 2013, at 11:35 AM, NMPOST7 <nmpost7 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12/11/2013 18:29, Herbert Schulz wrote:
>> You don't seem to want to provide me with the information I need to figure out what is going on.
>
> Dear Herb,
>
> apparently there is a delay in mails reaching you. Please wait until my last
> message reaches you.
>
>> I'm willing to bet that you also haven't installed the FixMacTeX2013.pkg which is found in /Applications/TeX!
>
> That has already been installed and I followed what you said.
>
> Best regards
> suren

Howdy,

The messages seem to come out of order.

I got the information and the permissions look fine. The FixMacTeX2013.pkg fixed up the PATH so there is no need to separately set up PATH (unless you also have a distribution via Macports or Fink).

Installing the latest XCode and letting it install the command line tools should do the trick if `make' wasn't installed.

PS: If you try using TeXShop to compile your files there is a latexmk engine (you have to activate it) which will do all necessary processing so there would be no need to use your make file. To activate the latexmk engine move the latexmk.engine file from ~/Library/TeXShop/Engines/Inactive/Latexmk two directories up, to ~/Library/TeXShop/Engines; you'll need to restart TeXShop. Then place the line

% !TEX TS-program = latexmk

at the top of your source file and simply Typeset->Typeset (Cmd-T) and the file will be completely typeset through all necessary steps of latex/bibtex(or biber)/makeindex to get a final product.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)