[OS X TeX] TeX nostalgia

Art Werschulz agw at comcast.net
Wed Nov 13 17:08:25 EST 2013

Hi.

On Nov 13, 2013, at 8:04 AM, Herbert Schulz <herbs at wideopenwest.com> wrote:

> On Nov 12, 2013, at 8:59 PM, Justin C. Walker <justin at mac.com> wrote:
>

>> On Nov 12, 2013, at 15:09 , Herbert Schulz wrote:
>>>
>>> Many years ago, when I was using a PDP-10 running BSD Unix, I use emacs with great delight via a Terminal. Gave up emacs (well, I did use Alpha for a while) once OS X came out and switched to TeXShop which has been my Editor/Front End of choice ever since.
>>
>> You didn't really mean "PDP-10", did you?
>
> Maybe it was a PDP-11. It's been a very long time and I'm getting old.

I first used TeX in 1982, on a DECSystem-20.  The editor was emacs; the various extension packages were written in TECO.   We had an Imagen printer.  DVI files were printed via a program called MANGLE.   One cute thing about the TEX command was that after the DVI file had been generated, the line
	MANGLE FOO.DVI
appeared on the screen, and so you only needed to hit RETURN for the printing to start.  Outside of the lack of a previewer, it was darn good for its time.

I still use emacs as my all-around editor, with AUCTeX for TeX work.  I'm pretty happy with same.  This also allows me the same workflow, whether I'm using my Mac at home or my Linux box at work.

Art Werschulz
agw at comcast.net