[OS X TeX] En-us-Wikipedia complaint

Don Green Dragon fergdc at Shaw.ca
Sat Nov 30 15:44:02 EST 2013

Hi Herb,

On 29Nov2013, at 4:23 PM, Herbert Schulz <herbs at wideopenwest.com> wrote:

<<large snip>>

>> Ahhhh! Your line above  prompted me to search for "En-us-Wikipedia.ogg» first with Spotlight which referred me to Chapter1.tex. Searching therein I found
>>
>> \input{../../../Downloads/En-us-Wikipedia.ogg}
>>
>> embedded in the source code. Comment out, and bingo, no more complaints from the Console. How did it get there? Hmmmmm!  Obviously, I’m the culprit, but no clue as to how it got in the source code. ;—(
>>

> Howdy,
>
> Isn't that format some sort of audio file? Glad you got that out of the way.

So am I.  :-)  I suppose it would have been caught eventually via proof-reading. To complete a Typeset only required one more keystroke, so there was not too much to complain about. Fortunately, both TeXShop and TeX continue to work like a charm despite the fact that Mavericks is in charge of surfing.

From Wikipedia:

"Ogg is a free, open container format maintained by the Xiph.Org Foundation. The creators of the Ogg format state that it is unrestricted by software patents[4] and is designed to provide for efficient streaming and manipulation of high quality digital multimedia."

>> Thanks for the hint. By the way, if strange combinations of the ascii version of double-quote and the right guillemet show up, that is part of the NEW, IMPROVED mail app.  :--)

> I tend to use plain text so no smart quotes, etc. Why don't you check System Preferences->Keyboard->Text and un-check Use smart quotes and dashes.

When using TextEdit, I like having the «smart quotes» available, i.e., the guillemets guys, but when I compose a note here in Mail, I don’t expect a «quote» to begin with a straight double-quote and be completed by means of a right guillemet, and that is what I was getting in my last note to you. In this note, I’m getting a mixture of both, but at least the opening character matches the closing one.  :--)

So far Mavericks has been an annoying `toy’ upgrade, so I’m looking forward to 10.9.1. In particular, I cannot believe the `new’ and «improved» vertical slider gadgets. Does Apple really believe that is an improvement? Ridiculous! Oh well, perhaps everyone else loves them. ;--)

don green dragon
fergdc at shaw.ca