[OS X TeX] Installing Lucida Bright fonts (PCTeX version) on MacTeX 2013

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Tue Oct 29 10:47:48 EDT 2013

On Oct 29, 2013, at 9:12 AM, Per Ting <perting at gmail.com> wrote:

> Herb,
>
> Thanks for the detailed response. I will go with the texmf-local tree. One more question, I am not familiar with bash files. You say that I need to put a text file with three lines (and an empty one) in the scripts folder. What should I name this file and how I would execute it? I know that the file has to be made executable. Does this file need to be executed after each update of MacTeX?
>
> Thanks

Howdy,

You don't have to create that executable script (I assume you are talking about the script, which is a simple text file, with the lines

#!/bin/bash
sudo -H mktexlsr
sudo -H updmap-sys

that I save in /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/scripts) but you do need to execute the two commands (i.e., the two lines with `sudo -H`) ONCE when you install a completely new MacTeX distribution (e.g., MacTeX-2012, MacTeX-2013, MacTeX-2014 [which doesn't exist yet]). Once things are set up for a distribution using tlmgr or TeX Live Utility to update that distribution takes care of everything automatically.

If you wish to save the file as an executable in the directory I gave above so you don't have to remember those commands simply give it a convenient name e.g., setupmapfiles.sh, drop it into /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/scripts and run

sudo chmod 755 /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/scripts/setupmapfiles.sh

(assuming you gave it that name) to make it executable. From then on when you install a completely new Mac TeX distribution you run

sudo -H /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/scripts/setupmapfiles.sh

ONCE after the install and you are set for another year or so.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)