[OS X TeX] typing em dash (---)

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Mon Sep 16 20:27:23 EDT 2013

On Sep 16, 2013, at 5:33 PM, Nicolae Garleanu <garleanu at haas.berkeley.edu> wrote:

> 2) Supposing one does have an em-dash in the source, can that translate
> into an em-dash in the output? Not in my set-up. For instance, a minimal
> example would be as attached (if possible), and pasted below. Output as
> expected given my original posting, i.e., first dash becomes a blank
> space. I am just running pdflatex in the standard installation.
>
> \documentclass[12pt]{article}
> \begin{document}
> ad ‹ asdas --- as asd
> \end{document}
>
> Nicolae

Huh? What you sent has --- rather than an em-dash. This is automatically translated to an em-dash in the output.

If you wish to actually insert an em-dash, – (actually this is an en-dash since the font doesn't have an em-dash), into the source document itself you'll have to save the document in something other than pure ASCII and then let LaTeX ``know'' what encoding you are using; e.g. saving as UTF-8 Unicode in TeXShop:

%%!TEX TS-program = pdflatex
%%!TEX encoding = UTF-8 Unicode
\documentclass[12pt]{article}
\usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}