[OS X TeX] A heretic thought

Michael Sharpe msharpe at ucsd.edu
Mon Aug 4 17:33:28 EDT 2014

On Aug 4, 2014, at 1:43 PM, George Gratzer <gratzer at me.com> wrote:

> I started working on the 5th edition of More Math into LaTeX.
>
> And I have a thought. What would happen if  write
>
> Tex
>
> and
>
> LaTex
>
> no fancy staff. Would it not look nicer? I'm really getting tired of LATEX.
> Is this crazy? What do you think?

I'd suggest keeping your options open by using two macros, \tex and \latex, throughout the manuscript so it will be easy to change and experiment with. In many body fonts, the spacing in LaTeX is unfortunate, as the combinations aT and Te appear unevenly kerned, with too much space in the first and not enough in the second. (It's often particularly  bad in sans serif fonts.) The macros will need kerning applied that is specific to the font you will use.

Michael