[OS X TeX] OS X TeX] How install & use genuine Adobe Times-Roman small caps fonts?

Michael Sharpe msharpe at ucsd.edu
Mon Aug 11 00:18:27 EDT 2014

On Aug 10, 2014, at 5:17 PM, Herbert Schulz <herbs at wideopenwest.com> wrote:

> I haven't spent time with newtx but this is what I've used with mtp2:
>
> \renewcommand{\rmdefault}{ptm}
> \usepackage[scaled=0.84]{berasans}
> \usepackage[mtpcal,mtpfrak,mtpbb]{mtpro2}
> \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
> \usepackage{textcomp}
> \normalfont
>
> and I happen to have the Adobe Times font for ptm (via the Basics Package --- i.e., the basic laserwriter fonts from Adobe many years ago). I haven't tried using small caps and other ``fancy'' extensions but this has pworked for me. PS: folks that know me also know that I'm a big fan of berasans and beramono.

If the "package" you use to load Times is the minimalist \renewcommand{\rmdefault}{ptm}, avoiding all the options offered by other Times packages, then the fd will be T1ptm.fd, whose {m}{sc} entry is ptmrc8t, a virtual font loading fake Times small caps, all deriving ultimately from ptmr8a. Perhaps this is what Murray was referring to originally in his question. If this is so, then one may simply change the vpl to point to the small cap font instead of ptmr8a scaled .8, making a tfm in 8r encoding for ptmrc8a, and similarly for bold. Of course, I think it would be better to first try the existing options in the packages I mentioned.

Michael