[OS X TeX] OS X TeX] How install & use genuine Adobe Times-Roman small caps fonts?

Michael Sharpe msharpe at ucsd.edu
Mon Aug 11 13:47:24 EDT 2014

On Aug 11, 2014, at 5:36 AM, Herbert Schulz <herbs at wideopenwest.com> wrote:

> I'm quite confused at the plethora of Times (style) font packages. What would you recomment to go along with bera-sans/mono and mtpro2? Note: I have the basic Adobe Times fonts as stated in the message.
>
> Have to admit I don't use Times very much; my favorite for personal use is still Lucida Bright and for documentation use Fourier/Berasans/Beramono. I know you aren't much of a fan of Utopia (used by Fourier).

Hi Herb,

I'm sure you know about many of the issues below but I'm adding them for the benefit of others. I assume you are setting the updmap.cfg options with one of

LW35 ADOBE
LW35 ADOBEkb

The effect is to use the Adobe versions of the pfb files (with their names in Berry form in the second case) rather than the default URW clones.

First off, you can't easily make use of those Adobe fonts with TeX Gyre Termes, as those use names that are specific to that package.

With newtxtext using T1 encoding, medium weight Roman text maps to either t1xr.tfm if the figure style is lining (ie, uppercase) and to t1xrj.tfm if the figure style is oldstyle (ie, lowercase.) Looking at just the first case, which is slightly simpler, t1xr turns out to be a virtual font made from rtxptmr and rtxr, with just a few characters from rtxr (which is defined in txfonts.map) but most from rtxptr, which is defined in your pdftex.map to point to your Adobe fonts. So, newtxtext makes use of your Adobe fonts and provides expert features like small caps, oldstyle figures and a full set of standard f-ligatures that are not in the basic Adobe fonts.

STIX uses its own characters, as far as I can tell.

With just using \renewcommand{\rmdefault}{ptm}, you are missing out on the expert features mentioned above.

So, I'd recommend for Times+Beramono+mtpro2

\usepackage[osf]{newtxtext} % remove [osf] for lining figures in text
% newtxtext defines helvetica for sans serif, newtxtt for typewriter, so overwrite them both with bera
\usepackage[scaled=0.9]{berasans}
\usepackage[scaled=0.84]{beramono}
\usepackage[mtpcal,mtpfrak,mtbbb]{mtpro2}
\usepackage[T1]{textcomp} % for unusual symbols such as \textcopyright

Though I'm not really fond of Utopia, my main complaint being that I find the letters too cramped and of rather severe appearance. But, it is used by many people as part of the excellent fourier package. The new version of Heuristica (an extension of Utopia) that just appeared a few hours ago in TeXLive 2014 now has the same important features as the commercial expert Utopia fonts---small caps in regular and bold upright shapes, a full set of superior letters (not of any importance in English) and oldstyle figures.

Michael