[OS X TeX] OS X TeX] How install & use genuine Adobe Times-Roman small caps fonts?

Michael Sharpe msharpe at ucsd.edu
Mon Aug 11 18:50:58 EDT 2014

On Aug 10, 2014, at 3:04 PM, Murray Eisenberg <murrayeisenberg at gmail.com> wrote:

> I want to start with either the mathptmx or the mt2pro package for specifying Times.

Here's a fontinst script that generates the required files in T1 encoding.

%%%CUT HERE

% !TEX TS-program = tex
\input fontinst.sty
\declareencoding{UNSPECIFIED}{8r}
\needsfontinstversion{1.933}

\installfonts
\transformfont{ptmr8r}{\reencodefont{8r}{\fromafm{ptmr8a}}}
\transformfont{ptmrc8r}{\reencodefont{8r}{\fromafm{ptmrc8a}}}
\transformfont{ptmb8r}{\reencodefont{8r}{\fromafm{ptmb8a}}}
\transformfont{ptmbc8r}{\reencodefont{8r}{\fromafm{ptmbc8a}}}
\installfamily{T1}{ztm}{}
\installfont{ztmrc8t}
   {ptmrc8r,%
   ptmr8r,%
   newlatin}
  {t1}{T1}{ztm}{m}{sc}{}
\installfont{ztmbc8t}
   {ptmbc8r,%
   ptmb8r,%
   newlatin}
  {t1}{T1}{ztm}{b}{sc}{}
\endinstallfonts

\bye
%%%CUT HERE

This produces t1ztm.fd plus ztmrc8t.vpl, ztmbc8t.vpl, ptmrc8r.pl, ptmbc8r.pl on which you run vptovf or pltotf. Make a file ztm.map with contents

ptmrc8r Times-RomanSC " TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont " <[8r.enc <ptmrc8a.pfb
ptmbc8r Times-BoldSC " TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont " <[8r.enc <ptmbc8a.pfb

Then it's just a matter of copying the contents of t1ztm.fd, changing the family name {ztm} as necessary, to the fd files you plan to use. I would not find it worth the effort because my crummy old eyes can't see any difference between the Adobe Times fonts at ordinary sizes and the URW versions (including small caps) which are already installed in TeXLive.

Michael