[OS X TeX] Multifile search/replace ?

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Tue Aug 12 08:06:24 EDT 2014

On Aug 12, 2014, at 3:33 AM, Josep Maria Font <jmfont at ub.edu> wrote:

> This is both a question and a feature request.
>
> When working in a large project with several \included files, I usually edit only one of them at a time, but occasinally (when making important changes that affect \ref and similar issues) I need to make a search/replace operation on all the files of the project. It would be nice that TeXShop allows to make this in an easy and practical way.

Howdy,

I believe there has been a request for dealing with multi-file projects within TeXShop for quite a while and I'd guess this request for multi-file search would be in that category.

Right now you'd have to have all the files in the project open and search each one separately. That's not quite as bad as it sounds: once the Find and Replace are set you can use them in multiple documents by using Cmd-G to find the next item; and you can use Cmd-F2 (the Window->Next Source Window Menu item) to switch from one Source file to the next.

> The question is: May I maintain all the files open with BBEdit (including the one I am editing with TeXShop), make changes to all of them (including...) and save the changes ? Will TeXShop recognise the changes and update its open source file ?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>

> JMaF

I just Opened and Saved a new file leaving it open in TeXShop. I then Opened, modified and Saved that file in BBEdit. The changes immediately showed up in TeXShop. I think that's what you were wondering about.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)