[OS X TeX] tex live utility no longer working

juan tolosa juantolo at me.com
Thu Aug 14 00:24:32 EDT 2014

This is embarrassing. I had this problem before, but I cannot remember how to solve it.
I have updated TeXShop to its most recent version, 3.39.
However, the TeX Live utility is no longer working. When I try to run it, it doesn't work.
When I check for updates of TeX Live, it tells me I have the most recent version, 1.17.
When I try "refresh package list" I get:

Your TeX Live version is 2013, but your default repository URL appears to be for TeX Live 2014.  You need to manually upgrade to a newer version of TeX Live, as there will be no further updates for your version.

Then I try to reinstall TeX Live:
I go to
http://tug.org/texlive/acquire-netinstall.html
and download using the suggested file
install-tl-unx.tar.gz
but nothing happens when I try to run it.
I try to run install-tl but the system will not let me, citing security concerns, because it is from an "unidentified developer"
The directions
After unpacking the archive, change to the resulting install-tl-* subdirectory. Then follow the quick installation instructions or read the documentation.
are quite confusing.

Any advice is appreciated.
    Juan