[OS X TeX] How update map files when no updates available in TeX Live Utility

Adam R. Maxwell amaxwell at mac.com
Tue Aug 19 00:15:48 EDT 2014

> On Aug 18, 2014, at 14:59 , Murray Eisenberg <murrayeisenberg at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I've added some new fonts in ~/Library/texmf and added the appropriate line to ~/Library/texmf/web2c/updmap.cfg.
> In TeXLive Utility, the preference "Automatically enable fonts in my home directory" is checked.
>
> I opened TeX Live Utility, but no updates were available, hence it did not run the appropriate updmap command automatically at the end of updating.

This is an interesting use case that I hadn't really thought about…hmm.

> What should I do manually, at command line, instead?  In other words, exactly what command(s) related to map files does the TeX Live Utility actually run at the end, when there are available updates?

All TeX Live Utility does when that box is checked is run

updmap

as the user running TLU.

> (I do know enough now not to wantonly use updmap or updmap-sys, perhaps with sudo -- so as to avoid messing up the configuration!)

Well, at least you know that! It's more robust than it used to be, but there are still some configurations that could cause grief, I think.

Adam