[OS X TeX] Command completion troubles

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Wed Aug 27 18:55:43 EDT 2014

On Aug 27, 2014, at 2:31 PM, Herbert Schulz <herbs at wideopenwest.com> wrote:

> On Aug 27, 2014, at 2:14 PM, Don Green Dragon <fergdc at shaw.ca> wrote:
>
>> With respect to my settings. Checking «Source -> Key Bindings -> Toggle On/Off» I see that the
>> «Toggle On/Off» part is checkmarked.
>>
>> Looking in «TeXShop -> Preferences -> Source -> Command Completion Triggered By:» I find that «Escape Key» is active.
>>
>> The two settings above have been that way forever, a long time!!, I think.
>>
>> With respect to command completion: Relative your example \sec. In a source file which is active and performing well, I type
>>
>> \sec
>>
>> with a blank line above, as shown, then press the `Trigger’, which is the ESC key, and nothing happens. The behaviour used to be as you described. I get the same `no action’ response with
>>
>> \benu  «press trigger»
>>
>> So somewhere, somehow I must have disabled command completion, but where would that have been done?
>>
>> Thanks for your always helpful advice.
>>

>> don green dragon
>> fergdc at shaw.ca
>>

> Howdy,
>
> There is no toggle for Command Completion since it takes an active press of the trigger to engage it.
>
> Please Quit TeXShop, Open ~/Library/TeXShop and move the CommandCompletion folder to the Desktop and finally Open TeXShop again. Then try to open a new file, place
>
> \sec
>
> at the start of a line and press the trigger (Esc in your case) key. If nothing happens please send me a copy of the CommandCompletion.txt file found in ~/Library/TeXShop/CommandCompletion.
>
> Please remember that ~/Library is the Library folder in you HOME folder (NOT /Library which is the Library folder at the base of your Hard Drive). Under OS X 10.7 and later ~/Library is hidden by default. To Open it Click on the Go Menu in Finder and press the Opt key so that the new Library item shows in the menu.
>
> Good Luck,
>
> Herb Schulz
> (herbs at wideopenwest dot com)

Howdy,

I just noticed a possible misinterpretation that can happen. First, there doens't have to be a blank line before \sec but you should put the \sec at the start of a new line. Second, I carefully said type

\sec

and press Esc. Notice that the insertion point will be at the end of the item to be expanded; do not press return and then press Esc. The same goes for

\benu

where you press the Esc key right after typing the u.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)