[OS X TeX] Personal dictionaris in CocoAspell

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sun Aug 31 13:11:22 EDT 2014

On Aug 30, 2014, at 12:20 PM, Don Green Dragon <fergdc at shaw.ca> wrote:

> Hello Herb,
>
> Once again, I’ve been saved! Hallelujah!  :-)  See below please.
>

> On 27Aug2014, at 1:46 PM, Herbert Schulz <herbs at wideopenwest.com> wrote:

>> Howdy,
>>
>> It doesn't mark those on my system. I suspect you don't have it completely set up
>
> I suspect that you were right.
>
>> First go to System Preferences and open the Spelling preference pane. On the Dictionaries tab make sure that the English dictionary is checked (the Name: should be English [variant_0]), make the Suggestions mode: Normal and make sure the TeX/LaTeX filter is checked (I also check the URL and E-mail filters).
>>
>> Second, in TeXShop click on Edit->Show Spelling and Grammar and choose English (Aspell) from the popup menu.
>>
>> Let me know if that doesn't work since there may be one more thing to do.
>
> I followed the above and there is a big difference in the performance. I had chosen a different dictionary, a Canadian one, and I had not activated TeX/LaTeX in the Spelling pane. Also in TeXShop I had not chosen the Aspell option.
>

> \emph and \tikz and \tikzpicture and a couple of other things are still underlined in red but a lot of underlines have disappeared, hence I conclude that CocoAspell is doing its job. However, I see now that when I move to
>
> Edit->Show Spelling and Grammar
>
> someone questions me about certain spellings. So I told it to `Learn’ «emph» but they are still underlined.
>
> How do you remember all these details?????? Thanks.
>

> don green dragon
> fergdc at shaw.ca

Howdy,

You can add more items to the list of commands understood by CocoAspell although I don't understand why \emph isn't recognized. Open System Preferences->Spelling->Filters->TeX/LaTeX to see the list of special commands. To add a command to the list click on the + and go to the bottom of the list to see a command called unknown. Double click the unknown and enter, e.g., emph (note: without \, the backslash). Then click on the braces on the right side to activate the argument setup. A set of [] or {} symbolize an optional or regular argument that shouldn't be spell checked while [√] or {√} are optional or regular arguments that should be spell checked. In the case of emph the regular argument should be spell checked. To enter a √ you press Opt-V (note: if that doesn't work let me know) so you should have {√} on the right hand side.

On the other hand I believe that the default behavior for any command that isn't in that list is to just ignore it and go on; i.e., \emph is NOT on my list but the spell checker doesn't seem to flag it---maybe I put it on the Learn list some time in the past.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)