[OS X TeX] ShareLaTeX

juan tolosa juantolo at me.com
Mon Dec 8 18:28:48 EST 2014

Some of my students used it, after one of them discovered this resource; I teach a course (Foundations of mathematics) in which students are required, in particular, to learn LaTeX. As I see it, it has advantages and disadvantages:

* The main advantage is that students can create TeX documents from anywhere, without having any typesetting software in their computers. This has been useful since on campus we only have TeX (MikTeX) installed in a couple of classrooms.

* The main disadvantage is that ShareLaTeX typesets even if there are multiple errors. No error messages are produced, and a typeset document is created (of varying degrees of usefulness, depending on the number and the magnitude of the errors). This prevents students from learning from their mistakes.

Juan