[OS X TeX] updmap.cfg and TeX Live Manager Notice

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Tue Feb 18 11:03:18 EST 2014

On Feb 18, 2014, at 9:40 AM, Ralph Martin <Ralph.Martin at cs.cardiff.ac.uk> wrote:

> Dear All
>
> I have just noted that TeX Live utility reports the following when doing an update. Is this something I should worry about? If so, how can I fix it?
>
> 2014-02-17 11:51:08 +0000 Notice -[TLMMainWindowController _runUpdmapIfNeeded][12047]	/usr/local/texlive/2013/texmf-config/web2c/updmap.cfg is not in (
>    "/Users/ralph/Library/texmf"
> ); ignoring
> 2014-02-17 11:51:08 +0000 Notice -[TLMMainWindowController _runUpdmapIfNeeded][12047]	/usr/local/texlive/2013/../texmf-local/web2c/updmap.cfg is not in (
>    "/Users/ralph/Library/texmf"
> ); ignoring
> 2014-02-17 11:51:08 +0000 Notice -[TLMMainWindowController _runUpdmapIfNeeded][12047]	/usr/local/texlive/2013/texmf-dist/web2c/updmap.cfg is not in (
>    "/Users/ralph/Library/texmf"
> ); ignoring
>
> Best wishes
>
> Ralph

Howdy,

I assume you have personal fonts in your personal texmf tree (root at ~/Library/texmf) and therefore you have an updmap.cfg there to install the map files when `updmap` is run.

When there are font updates installed by tlmgr, via TeX Live Utility (TLU), it automatically runs `updmap-sys` which ignores any fonts in your personal tree, and therefore any updmap.cfg file in your personal tree, and installs system-wide map files. I assume that is what youa re seeing.

However, the map file installed using `updmap`, which includes your personal fonts as well as the system-wide fonts, overrides the system-wide map file and it doesn't get updated when new fonts are installed by tlmgr, via TLU, by default.

To have TLU run `updmap` and update your personal map file to pick up any changes at the system-wide level, you should check `Automatically enable fonts in my home directory' in TeX Live Utility->Preferences.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)