[OS X TeX] TeX Live Utility update failure: allegedly missing lthtlw.enc

Michael Sharpe msharpe at ucsd.edu
Tue Jul 8 17:19:48 EDT 2014

On Jul 8, 2014, at 2:10 PM, Murray Eisenberg <murrayeisenberg at gmail.com> wrote:

> I just ran the TeX Live Utility 1.17, with MacTeX 2014 and got an "update failed" message that I find odd.
>
> The update included updating fonts-tlwg.
>
> As the log file -- extract below -- shows, the error was when TLU was automatically running updmap-sys (after it ran mktexlsr) and couldn't find file lthtlw.enc whose existence was indicated somehow in /usr/local/texlive/2014/texmf-dist/web2c/updmap.cfg.
>
> However, that file _does_ exist: /usr/local/texlive/2014/texmf-dist/fonts/enc/dvips/fonts-tlwg/lthtlwg.enc
> (also /usr/local/texlive/2014/texmf-dist/source/fonts/fonts-tlwg/latex/lthtlwg.enc).
>
> What's wrong??
There seems to have been an error in making the TeXLive update script. To fix the problem, edit

/usr/local/texlive/2014/texmf-dist/web2c/updmap.cfg

using an authenticating editor like BBEdit or TextWrangler (not the versions from the App store) to remove the line

Map lthtlwg.enc

save the result, then run in a Terminal window

sudo -H updmap-sys

Michael