[OS X TeX] A puzzle

Michael Sharpe msharpe at ucsd.edu
Mon Jun 2 14:31:59 EDT 2014

On Jun 2, 2014, at 9:21 AM, George Gratzer <gratzer at me.com> wrote:

> Actually, my symbol was as accessible as any other...
>
> But a more important question. How do you get these symbols and how do you use them in LaTeX?

To access arbitrary symbols from the STIX collection from LaTeX rather than XeLaTeX or LuaLaTeX, you need to perform all the usual font preparations expected by LaTeX. Here are the steps.

1. Create the tfm with the command

afm2tfm STIXGeneral-Regular -T stixspecial.enc mySTIXglyphs  >stixspecial.map

(STIXGeneral-Regular.afm is not provided by TeXLive. I've made one for myself that you can download from

http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3825336/TeX/index.html

under the name STIXglyphs.zip. It contains all the files you need, including the encoding file containing the names of the glyphs you wish to use from STIXGeneral-Regular.pfb..)

2. Edit stixspecial.map to add a space followed by <stixspecial.map to the end of the last line. (I've already done this.)

3. Create an fd file like the one I've provided.

4. Define a macro to call up the glyph, adding appropriate spacing. See text.tex for a prototype.

5. Install the enc, fd and tfm in the usual locations, or leave them in the same directory as your source.

Michael