[OS X TeX] Text floating around a figure

Don Green Dragon fergdc at Shaw.ca
Fri Jun 6 19:29:57 EDT 2014

Hi Herb,

On 06Jun2014, at 2:13 AM, Herbert Schulz <herbs at wideopenwest.com> wrote:

>> However, in testing, I cannot get the graphic centred or shifted to the right margin using the characters `l’ or `r’. The graphic remains at the left margin for both {window} and {figwindow}.
>>
>> Can you centre and right align them in your setup?
>>

> Howdy,
>
> I can't get it to work with your example but the one given in The LaTeX Companion, 2nd Edition, works. The book states that there must be ``sufficient room'' on either side but it also says 1in and you certainly have that.
>
> Please note that this package is VERY old going back to latex2.09 days. I'm not sure if there is a more modern package available.

I fooled around with a lot of examples and had good luck except for centring or aligning to the right which I could not get to work, including the Hello example in The LaTeX Companion.

One device that worked well was to use a \framebox or a \makebox to place the graphic in, e.g.,

\begin{figwindow}[ 2, l, \framebox[15cm][c]{\includegraphics{<filename>}}, <caption> ]
. . . run-around text . . .
\end{figwindow}

where 15 cm is very close to the my page width. So the result is to centre the graphic across the page with the run-around text above and below the graphic but not to its left or right. The graphic seems to float along nicely with the run-around text. Might be useful in a situation where LaTeX refuses to place your graphic where you want it with \begin{figure}[htbp].

With the terminal command "texdoc picinpar» you get a 1993 document which I was not able to use. It suggests "A better way to shift the right box.» was to use the command \vbox but I could not figure out how to use it, and from Th LaTeX Companion I conclude \vbox is low level TeX stuff. Not for me!  :-)

So we’ll have to be satisfied with what we have which is verify good. Thanks for your ever useful help.

don green dragon
fergdc at shaw.ca