[OS X TeX] the /usr directory

Adam R. Maxwell amaxwell at mac.com
Tue Nov 4 10:45:39 EST 2014

> On Nov 4, 2014, at 06:09 , Art Werschulz <agw at comcast.net> wrote:
>
> In real life, I'm a Comp Sci professor at Fordham University.  We run Linux on all the Departmental machines at our campus (Lincoln Center, not the Bronx).  To get around the problem Ettore mentions, /usr/local is on a separate partition.  Ditto with /home (analogous to /Users on Mac OS X).  If we need to do a clean install, the installer can be told to respect these two partitions.

The OS X installer has historically been a mixed bag with respect to preserving /usr/local, unfortunately. I don't recall the reasoning for /usr/texbin, but it's always seemed like an odd choice.

If anyone is interested in the historical filesystem layout, 'man hier' in Terminal (no quotes) will give you some info.

Adam