[OS X TeX] the /usr directory

Ettore Aldrovandi ealdrov at math.fsu.edu
Tue Nov 4 11:16:40 EST 2014

> On Nov 4, 2014, at 9:09 AM, Art Werschulz <agw at comcast.net> wrote:
>
> To get around the problem Ettore mentions, /usr/local is on a separate partition.  Ditto with /home (analogous to /Users on Mac OS X).  If we need to do a clean install, the installer can be told to respect these two partitions.

That totally makes sense, especially in large installations. (Same with us, BTW, except FreeBSD and Solaris, here.)  I have never tried with /usr/local, but I have had /Users on a separate partition on a few Macs and rarely have had problems. (But you do have to put an /etc/fstab entry by hand.)

--Ettore

Ettore Aldrovandi
Department of Mathematics, Florida State University
1017 Academic Way                *    http://www.math.fsu.edu/~ealdrov
Tallahassee, FL 32306-4510, USA * * aldrovandi at math dot fsu dot edu