[OS X TeX] Yosemite 10.10.1

Richard Seguin riseguin at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 17 19:57:40 EST 2014

> On Nov 17, 2014, at 4:57 PM, Herbert Schulz <herbs at wideopenwest.com> wrote:
>

>> On Nov 17, 2014, at 4:16 PM, Richard Seguin <riseguin at earthlink.net> wrote:
>>
>> Has anyone installed this update yet? Did it fix or break anything (Tex, TeXShop, BBEdit, Skim, etc.)? The only significant problem I’ve had with 10.10 is the font smoothing problem.
>>
>> Richard
>
> Howdy,
>
> Well, I know that one of the bugs that makes some software fail hasn't been fixed with 10.10.1. It appears that Mail has been fixed up a bit; it seems that it can keep up with my slow typing. It may also have fixed up some of the font display problems for fonts in Skim, etc.
>
> Good Luck,
>
> Herb Schulz
> (herbs at wideopenwest dot com)

Hmm, I’m not seeing any improvement with font display problems in Skim. It still looks rough and ugly unless I resort to the trick I wrote about recently*. I’m pretty sure that Preview looks distinctly better though. Also, I think the recent minor update to Pages may have improved font rendering in that program.

I have a feeling that Preview may now be doing something similar to what I’m doing below, only internally*. That is, ignoring the system setting to smooth fonts. Maybe the Skim developers need to figure out how to do this.

Richard

* I execute Skim with an applescript in the Finder applescript menu or from the BBEdit applescript menu:

do shell script "defaults -currentHost write -globalDomain AppleFontSmoothing -int 0"
tell application "Skim"
	activate
end tell
do shell script "defaults -currentHost write -globalDomain AppleFontSmoothing -int 2”