[OS X TeX] Skim font smoothing problem with Yosemite

Berend Hasselman bhh at xs4all.nl
Fri Oct 24 14:51:11 EDT 2014

On 24-10-2014, at 18:57, Herbert Schulz <herbs at wideopenwest.com> wrote:

>> On Oct 24, 2014, at 11:30 AM, Richard Seguin <riseguin at earthlink.net> wrote:
>>
>> It’s suggested on these web pages that Skim’s font smoothing looks terrible relative to other viewers under Yosemite because it is no longer using “sub pixel rendering”. Does anyone have an idea what this means at the coding level for this latest OS? TeXShop developers: is TeXShop using “sub pixel rendering”?
>>
>> http://superuser.com/questions/829302/pdf-font-renderings-in-yosemite
>>
>> https://twitter.com/makotokanazawa/status/524481913558298624
>>
>> Richard Séguin
>
> Howdy,
>
> As a side note, the TeX Preview window (I'm quite sure it also uses PDFKit) looks horrendous too.
>
> Also, Monaco is unusable in BBEdit 11 but looks fine as the Source Window font in TeXShop.

I disabled antialiasing of Monaco in the Terminal in Mavericks with a non retina display.
It looks simply awful and certainly not legible.
I currently use Monaco in BBEdit but from what I’ve seen in Terminal I won’t be doing that for long in Yosemite in BBEdit.
(I haven’t switched to  11 yet).

Maybe you should complain to Barebones. And ask them to make antialiasing optional at the minimum.

Berend Hasselman