[OS X TeX] TeX on Yosemite

Murray Eisenberg murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
Sun Feb 1 16:29:23 EST 2015

On16 Oct 2014 19:47:48 -0700,Richard Koch <koch at math.uoregon.edu> wrote:

> The web page I just sent this mailing list warns that if you have TeX installed on an earlier
> system and you update it to Yosemite, there will be a long delay at the
> very end of installation.
>
> I just got a note from Ross Moore with an extremely helpful work-around.
>

> Dick Koch
>

> From Ross Moore:
>
> A colleague tells me that the way to update to Yosemite, with
> one or more TeX installations installed, is to first
>
> mv /usr/local/texlive ~
>
> do the install, then
>
> mv ~/texlive /usr/local
>
> This avoids the installer archiving then re-installing that
> hierarchy *file-by-file*.
>

> This kind of approach may be useful with other subdirectories
> of  /usr/local  as well.

While preparing to up(?)grade from Mavericks to Yosemite, I learned about a mousing technique with Finder to accomplish such a move without, apparently, changing any permissions, etc.:

  (1) Select the items to be moved in Finder, and use the usual keyboard or Edit menu command to copy them.

  (2) Open in Finder the target folder and put the cursor into it.

  (2) Holding down Shift+Option, from Finder's Edit Menu select Paste Exactly.

Now delete the originals in the ordinary way.

Less typing than with the Terminal window equivalent, more mousing around. But at least with this Finder technique there's not doubt as to where the files are being moved.

---
Murray Eisenberg		murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
503 King Farm Blvd #101		Home (240)-246-7240
Rockville, MD 20850-6667	Mobile (413)-427-5334