[OS X TeX] Simple Cyrillic Example

David Derbes loki at uchicago.edu
Sun Feb 22 15:22:45 EST 2015

I don’t do a lot of Russian, but this works for me. I choose the phonetic Russian alphabet in Preferences, and switch back and forth between that and English. Here’s the minimum working example (having chosen in TeXShop’s Preferences to use UTF-8):

% !TEX encoding = UTF-8 Unicode
\documentclass[11pt]{article}
\usepackage[T2A]{fontenc}
\usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
\usepackage[russian,english]{babel}
\begin{document}
\selectlanguage{russian}
брест\textbf{и}, брод\textbf{и}ть
\selectlanguage{english}
to roam, wander (\emph{501 Russian Verbs}, p.\,15)
\end{document}

I like to see the Russian in my source.

Best wishes,
David Derbes