[OS X TeX] [WARNING - NOT VIRUS SCANNED] Re: preview on TS

Alain Schremmer schremmer.alain at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 18:23:47 EST 2015

On Jan 22, 2015, at 4:01 PM, Murray Eisenberg wrote:

> On 22 Jan 2015 11:34:36 -0700, Don Green Dragon <fergdc at Shaw.ca>
> wrote:
>
>> On 30Dec2014, at 10:55 AM, Nitecki, Zbigniew H. <Zbigniew.Nitecki at tufts.edu
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> For me, breaking into chunks (actually, sections of chapters)
>>> helps me organize my work.  I don't use \include, just a master
>>> file with lots of \input commands.
>>
>> <<snip>>
>>
>> What?s the advantage of using \input as opposed to \include?
>
> Actually, I think the advantage is to using \include: Then for a
> main document that includes many "subdocuments", e.g., chapters in a
> book, you can from the main .tex source with whatever you want in
> the preamble, use \includeonly to selectively process only what
> you're currently working on. In fact, it's not hard to whip up a
> macro so that when you tex the main document, it prompts you to type
> in which of the subdocuments to include for the run!

I use a "file architecture" which has served me rather well over the
years. I have attached the zip of a minimal example. In 1-Instance1,
you can open and typeset chapter 1, 2 or I = 1+2 either from the
Contents folder or the Controls folder. In the case of ancillaries,
the separation of contents and controls becomes extremely handy. See <http://www.freemathtexts.org/AncillariesManagement/Downloads.php