[OS X TeX] XQuartz 2.7.7 and Inkscape and TeXShop

Don Green Dragon fergdc at Shaw.ca
Sat Jan 31 00:23:21 EST 2015

Hi All,

Today I received a message that a  new version of Inkscape is available for download. In the past I have used Inkscape to prepare drawings that will be used in .tex documents. So I downloaded the rascal, but before it would permit that there was a complaint that some process requested that I make XQuartz available. So I downloaded XQuartz, the version being 2.7.7, if that is relevant.

However, the Inkscape dialogue warns that before the `new’ Inkscape can be opened I have to log out and then back in!!!! The Inkscape message goes like

========
Preparation and running Inkscape
1. Download and install XQuartz from xquartz.macosforge.org. Specific instructions on installing XQuartz and support are found at the XQuartz web site. Note: Inkscape runs on XQuartz. This step and the next are required.

2. Restart the computer or log out and back in to complete the XQuartz installation.

3. Add Inkscape to your Applications folder.

4. Run Inkscape. A prompt will ask about the location of X11/XQuartz. Point to XQuartz in your 'Applications > Utilities' directory. Note: This first launch of Inkscape can take a while because it will cache fonts installed on your system.

5.  Configure X11's input and pasteboard settings in X11 > Preferences:
=========

I have NOT gone through steps 2, 3, 4, and 5 because I’m concerned about whether such changes will affect TeX, LaTeX, and TeXShop. So I’m asking for information here because there is no way that I want to screw up TeX and company.

So . . . are there any precautions to be made with respect to this XQuartz stuff?

I’m using Mavericks 10.9.5, TexShop 3.50, and X11 must be around somewhere because the `old’ version of Inkscape uses it.

don green dragon
fergdc at shaw.ca