[OS X TeX] TeX Live 2015 and MacTeX-2015

Alan Munn amunn at gmx.com
Wed Jul 15 11:11:29 EDT 2015

(Apologies if this is a duplicate; the first version didn’t seem to make it.)

On Jun 23, 2015, at 1:04 PM, Richard Koch <koch at uoregon.edu> wrote:

> On the other hand, the change to a replacement for /usr/texbin is essential
> for El Capitan, and I do hope that /Library/TeX/texbin will be accepted
> without discussion, since it will affect the configuration of lots of
> GUI programs.

Hi Dick, first off, thanks as always for all the work you do on MacTeX. It’s clear that TL 2015 is now perfectly prepared for El Capitan and its prohibition on writing to /usr directly. Do you know what will happen to users who have pre-TL 2015 systems but who upgrade to El Capitan?

I can see two possibilities:

A. everything that used to work still works, because /usr is not touched
B.  older distributions will fail to work at all because /usr/texbin isn’t there anymore after the upgrade

Obviously if the answer is A, then there’s no potential problems for older distributions on newer OS.

But if the answer is B, is there a simple solution to allow users with older distributions to keep using those distributions with the new link?

If it’s just a matter of making a new link, a clickable script might help a lot of the more Terminal-phobic folk.

Alan