[OS X TeX] How do I tell MacTeX about my user-install of Live TeX?

Richard Koch koch at uoregon.edu
Fri Mar 6 13:15:20 EST 2015

PS:

There is NO INTENTION of including the Local Pref Pane
in MacTeX itself. The goal of MacTeX is to provide a completely configured
TeX without asking the user to make any choices. For most users the
current global PrefPane is the correct choice.

Seeing the number of times this question seems to have come
up on the tex.stackexchange, we’ll try to expand slightly the new link
for tug.org/mactex <http://tug.org/mactex> in 2015 to explain clearly how to install tex live via
install script to home directories, while sticking to the conventions used
by MacTeX, and how to handle the Pref Pane issue.

Maybe I should have added that the Local Pane is installed in
~/Library/PreferencePanes, so it requires no administrative help.

Dick Koch