[OS X TeX] How do I tell MacTeX about my user-install of Live TeX?

Maloney, Christopher (NIH/NLM/NCBI) [C] maloneyc at ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
Thu Mar 12 11:22:13 EDT 2015

Hi, Adam,

Sorry, I saw your comment about LocalTeX, but I didn’t notice it was a hyperlink, and Googling didn’t get me to the right spot.

--
Chris Maloney
NIH/NLM/NCBI (Contractor)

"Adam R. Maxwell" wrote:

On Mar 6, 2015, at 10:15 , Richard Koch <koch at uoregon.edu<mailto:koch at uoregon.edu>> wrote:

PS:

There is NO INTENTION of including the Local Pref Pane
in MacTeX itself. The goal of MacTeX is to provide a completely configured
TeX without asking the user to make any choices. For most users the
current global PrefPane is the correct choice.

Seeing the number of times this question seems to have come
up on the tex.stackexchange, we’ll try to expand slightly the new link
for tug.org/mactex<http://tug.org/mactex> in 2015 to explain clearly how to install tex live via
install script to home directories, while sticking to the conventions used
by MacTeX, and how to handle the Pref Pane issue.

Just as a note, TLU gives you a GUI to install anywhere you
want, but the configuration for it is kind of clunky, so
it’s disabled by default. The Help menu in TLU will explain
how to activate and use that, though, if I recall correctly.

Maybe I should have added that the Local Pane is installed in
~/Library/PreferencePanes, so it requires no administrative help.

*ahem*

Indeed, and this is why my final comment on the OP’s
stackexchange question recommended LocalTeX as a solution,
but apparently I didn’t go into enough detail or something. :)

Adam