[OS X TeX] Bibtex alias

Martin Berggren martin.berggren at cs.umu.se
Fri Mar 27 11:28:37 EDT 2015

> On 27 Mar 2015, at 15:59 , Herbert Schulz <herbs at wideopenwest.com> wrote:
>
> And if you are still worried about using ~/Library/texmf/bibtex/bib and ~/Library/texmf/bibtex/bst for your personal .bib and .bst files make a single symbolic link to them in those folders; they will still be found and you'll feel `safe'.

I do something similar. I keep my local texmf tree in a directory under my Dropbox folder (~/Dropbox/Latex/texmf). Then I make a symlink from my ~/Library/texmf
to ~/Dropbox/Latex/texmf). In this way, I am sure to keep my personal tree consistent on all my machines (an office iMac and a MacBook Air at home).

But again, I think it is a TERRIBLE idea to directly use the bib and journal class files that happens at the time of composition to be located  in the system or personal texmf tree! BAD, BAD :) It creates cross dependencies and headaches in the future. I guarantee it! Did you get my point or should I say it again :)

Cheers,

Martin Berggren
Department of Computing Science,
UMIT Research Lab
Umeå Universitet
Campustorget 5, S-901 87 Umeå, Sweden. Ph: +46-70-732 8111
http://www.cs.umu.se/~martinb, Martin.Berggren at cs.umu.se